I'd tell them, you know, if they wanted to know. I'd tell them all sorts of things.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Sounds Familiar...



"That still-twitching bird was so deceived by a window, so we eulogized fondly; we dug deep and threw it's elegant plumage and frantic black eyes in a hole, and we rushed out to kill something new so we could bury that, too."

With those lyrics, the Weakerthans describe with uncanny accuracy how, when I was maybe six or seven, my brother, cousins and I found a dead crow and had a funeral. We made it a sort of play-pretend game. Looking back, that seems a rather morbid game for children to play--all false sadness and how we even named the corpse.

We called him Blackberry.

I wish I had been genuinely sad.

I tried to dig him up a year later, when I was eight or nine, but I couldn't find him.

No comments:

Post a Comment